Monday, March 9, 2015

Reading Diary A: Eskimo Folk Tales

Reading Diary A: Eskimo Folk Tales

The Coming of Men: I kind of hate that it’s titled, “The Coming of Men” and not “The Coming of Mankind”
But I love origin stories!
I love that it said, “they did not know how to store their thoughts into little black marks”  That’s a fantastic way to explain that they were oral storytellers.
“Old age does not lie.”  So much respect for their elders.  I love that.
“Let us have both light and death.” Dang.
I like that when people die they become stars.  This was definitely an interesting origin theory story.

The Woman Who Had a Bear Foster Son: Well, if this isn’t an example of accepting diversity, then I don’t know what is.
This story seems pointless.  I guess it could be about how bears aren’t meant to live in human society and shouldn’t try to do so.  Or something.  Maybe I’m not deep enough to understand.

The Insects That Wooed a Wifeless Man: I can’t believe the man still chose to be with one of the girls who had made fun of him so much before he became successful.  How are you supposed to have a happy and successful marriage when it’s based off of greed? That’s terrible.  Of course she ran away!  And why would he tell her? They always end up blabbing!
The ending was so...weird.  

The Giant Dog: The owner cut holes into the dog’s jaws? What the heck! I think that’s so unnecessary
If I was the dog I would be strong and fierce as well! Especially if someone cut freaking holes in my jaw!
I like that this story ends up being about why inland dwellers hate all dogs.  This was interesting! I could possibly write a story about the dog attacking an inland dweller and bringing a leg back to his owner, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment