Friday, March 13, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Pacific Northwest

Extra Reading Diary: Pacific Northwest

How Silver Fox Created the World:  I love creation stories! It’s interesting that a silver fox and a coyote are the ones to create things. Silver-Fox is such a sly guy.  
Dang.  Silver-Fox is assertive! But the ending wasn’t a very good one.  It left things way too up in the air.

How Kemush Created the World: Another creation story! Nice! maybe they made another one because they didn’t like how Silver-Fox created it either.  This was a pretty good one in comparison to the others.

How Old Man Above Created the World: The title alone makes me think of the christianity creation story.  I’m loving all these creation stories, though! Apparently I picked the right section to read.  I like how this one deals with creating a hole as well. I think it’s funny that the earth started out as flat when that’s what it was believed to be for so long. The ending was weird, but so far I like this creation story the best.

How Dog Stole Fire:  It took forever for the story to actually involve a dog.  I was almost worried. I don’t understand how the dog could have hidden fire in his ear, but I suppose it’s not too far off from his ability to talk, so I can’t judge.  Also, dogs can’t sweat.  Plot hole.  

The First Totem Pole:  I would be unhappy too if I didn’t get a dance.  Poor guy.  All the animals joining in kind of reminds me of cinderella.  How sweet of them! I like how the totem pole is known as the pole that holds up the sky.  Super cool.

(Kwakiutl dance)

No comments:

Post a Comment