Monday, February 2, 2015

Storybook Brainstorm Styles

Possible Storybook Styles for Nursery Rhyme Songs

Topic.  My Storybook will include four stories based off of Nursery Rhyme Songs.  My goal is to find four different nursery rhymes that I can put together for this Storybook! One story that I want to include is from the nursery rhyme, Three Blind Mice.  Another one that I want to include is Little Bo-Peep.  Finding other songs to go into my Storybook won’t be an issue.  The songs are typically short, so I don’t think it would be hard to mold any song into what I wanted it to be, with as much freedom as these songs give me to use my imagination. Once I figure out how exactly I want my story to go, it will be easier to know what other stories to incorporate.

Bibliography:  
1. Three Blind Mice, from The Nursery Rhyme Book, by Andrew Lang (1897).
2. Little Bo-Peep, from The Nursery Rhyme Book, by Andrew Lang (1897).

Possible Styles:

Addictions Anonymous.  I like the thought of giving each of the characters from my stories an addiction that fits their story, and having them all talk about it in a group for support.  For example, the for the song of the three blind mice, one of the lyrics is, “they all ran after the farmer’s wife.”  Perhaps I could say that the farmer’s wife was holding cheese, they smelled it, and even though they know they shouldn’t have, they had to get their fix so they chased after her.  After realizing their addiction was too intense (since they lost their tails for it) they came to Addictions Anonymous for help. It would be easy to intertwine any of the nursery rhyme characters.

The Blind Mice as Storytellers: I like the the thought of the blind mice trying to figure out who each of the characters from the three other nursery rhymes are without being able to see them.  I could have each mouse run into a character from another nursery rhyme, and write one story each of them running into each character, and then a story about the mice coming together and talking about their experiences with each other. I think it would be an interesting take on the stories, and it would be easy to incorporate any of the other nursery rhymes.

The Farmer’s Wife as the Storyteller: The farmer’s wife from the three blind mice nursery rhyme could be the storyteller, not only for the three blind mice nursery rhyme, but for the others as well.  For example, Little Bo-Peep could be her daughter, and then I could also incorporate other stories into her life.  I could tell the story as her explaining her crazy day full of happenings from all of the nursery rhymes to a friend.

A completely unrelated Storyteller:  I could have the story told from the perspective of someone unrelated to the nursery rhymes.  Everyone in the nursery rhyme could live in the same town, and it could be told by someone walking through the town and seeing all of these bizarre things.  I think it would be easy to incorporate each story that I want into this type of storytelling.


No comments:

Post a Comment