Monday, February 23, 2015

Reading Diary A - West African Folk Tales

Reading Diary A: West African Folk Tales


How We Got the Name Spider Tales: I love how clever the spider is. That story was fun to read.

How Wisdom Became Property of the Human Race:  The title reeled me in more than anything!
I like that hiding wisdom was the most severe punishment.  Valuing wisdom is something important that I think a lot of people overlook.

Why White Ants Always Harm Man’s Property:   I think I have a thing for story about ants.  Also, most of these stories are about famines.
A wolf and a leopard are friends?  Weird! I wonder if they are truly friends, or of it is just because they have a common enemy.
Ants! There’s power in numbers! Why would they help the leopard and wolf when they could have just joined the feast with the others?
I’m also wondering, because it’s an african folktale, if the fact that the ants are white is a jab at white people in general.
Okay, that story took a tragic turn! The ants got murdered! whattt?
I can’t say I blame the White Ant for wanting revenge forever.
I could write a storytelling about this story, adding more of a background and more details.  Or possibly all the ways the white ant took out revenge on people as a continuation of this story.

He killed the dwarf?? If Anansi is so intelligent and wise in most of his stories, wouldn’t he also possess the knowledge to know that that would have killed the dwarf??
Okay, I don’t think the reasoning in this story was actually good.  It didn’t make sense to me.

(Harvester Ant, photo by Kirsty Coghill)

1 comment:

  1. I have already commented on your introduction, so I decided to comment on this! I read this unit too! I found it very interesting! Anansi definitely made me mad in some of the stories though haha, but he definitely is very clever.

    ReplyDelete