Monday, January 26, 2015

Reading Diary A - Cupid and Psyche


The Captive Woman:  I love that the story is told from the point of view of the Donkey.  I feel bad for the girl who was kidnapped.  She seems very weak-souled from the way that she’s already lost hope and is trying to commit suicide.  It seems a bit early to go to such extreme measures, especially when she hasn’t even tried to escape herself.  I suppose it makes sense, since she’s lived a privileged life, but it’s still very sad.  The old woman is mean, but I understand why she would be so harsh. I could possibly do a story about exactly why the robbers kidnapped the girl.


I think it’s interesting that Cupid was known to have, “wicked ways and contempt for disorder.” I suppose I’ve always seen Cupid as a loving, sweet person, and apparently that’s not the case! It’s also disgusting that Venus is such a jealous and hateful god.

If I was Psyche, I don’t think I would be okay with never actually seeing my husband.  Also, though the place may have rich things in it, it still seems like a very sad, scary, and lonely place to be.  Especially if you barely get any time with your husband.  How are you supposed to fall in love with someone you barely know?

Psyche’s Husband Revealed.  I hate the line, “acting a man’s part in her boldness.”  If anything proves that this was written in a different time, that is it. Poor Cupid, having to obey his vile mother even though he was in love with Psyche.  I think it’s strange that Psyche wasn’t able to tell that Cupid wasn’t a monster by embracing him.  You don’t always need sight to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment