Monday, January 26, 2015

Possible Storybook Topics

Topic: Aesop’s Lions.  
Comments: I really love Aesop’s stories and the morals that go along with them. I’ve read a couple of sections of Aesop’s stories from the Untextbook, and I’m hooked! I already know quite a few of the stories about lions, so I do not think it would be too difficult to pull together a story about them! I think it would be fun to use the morals of a few different lion stories for the perspective of one, hopefully well-rounded lion by the end of it! I would like to gain a better, in depth understanding of Aesop’s stories as a whole, and better understand the morals associated with my stories.
Possible Stories: Fortunately for me, Aesop’s lion stories are all bunched together in the Untextbook, so it would be really easy for me to find four stories to go in my Storybook.  It just depends on what morals I want my lion to learn! I’ll have to read figure out exactly what direction I want to take the Storybook before I pick my specific stories, but once I do that, finding stories will be easy!
Sample Story comments. Androcles and the Lion.  I really like the moral of the story, “Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.” Also, I like that this shows the Lion in a good light, whereas in some of the other stories, the Lions aren’t the nicest of creatures. On wikipedia I found the original story by Aulus Gellius as well, for better background information.
Bibliography Information:
Title of the Story: Androcles and the Lion
Title of the Book: Attic Nights
Author of the Book: Aulus Gellius
Online Source: Wikipedia


Topic: Cat Myths.
Comments:
I think it would be fun get different cat stories together to show how awesome cats are, and maybe even show their downfalls, too! I love cats, so expanding upon a cat’s perspective and point of view would be really fun! I can use my two cats as a good reference for the personality and mannerisms that I add to my cat stories. :) I’ve read a few stories about cats, but I would like to read even more myths about them!
Possible Stories: Wikipedia has a good section where it has a bunch of mythological feline stories!  There are some stories from Aesop’s fables about cats that I could use.  But there are multiple different options on Wikipedia as well!
Sample Story: Through Wikipedia I found a story called Cactus Cat.  I like that this shows the cat as a beast, described to have spines that it used to slash cacti at night.  Part of the myth is that the cat would shriek throughout the night, and I think it would be cool to give a backstory as to why he shrieked and maybe form a story of how, what could have once been a normal cat, transformed into the Cactus Cat.
Bibliography Information
title of story: Cactus Cat
Website Name: Wikipedia

Topic: Nursery Rhyme Songs.
Comments: I think it would be fun to expand upon the nursery rhyme songs that we’ve all heard growing up.  Also, maybe even expand upon the ones we have not heard! I’ve heard a few, but I have not heard them all, and I would like to know more about the nursery rhymes I’ve always been told! I think it would be really fun and interesting to get in depth with simple nursery rhymes.
Possible Stories: I think it would be fun to intertwine the characters of the songs from Little Bo-Peep and Three Blind Mice, maybe also mixed in with the songs London Bridge is Falling Down.  I’m not sure how I would intertwine them just yet, but I think that makes it more fun!
Sample Story: Three Blind Mice.  I liked this nursery rhyme song because It’s so common, everyone has heard it. It’s also simple and short, which leaves a lot of room for interpretation!
Bibliography Information
title of story: Three Blind Mice
title of book: The Nursery Rhyme Book
author of book: Andrew Lang
year of publication: 1897


Topic: Characters of the Brothers Grimm.
Comments:   I want to take the popular stories from Grimms fairy tales and put my own twist on it, while intertwining their stories.  I think it would be a fun and challenging storybook to make! I don’t know much about these stories, but I would like to better know the originial versions of most of the common stories we hear today.  It seems like currently, these stories are very popular in modern movies and TV shows, so this should be fun!
Possible Stories: Because there are so many versions of all of these stories, I  just used Wikipedia and the Untedtextbook to look up some of these stories! It would be fun to intertwine the stories of  Hansel and Grethel, Snow White, The Seven Dwarves, and Cinderella!
Sample Story: Snow White. I chose this story because it’s such a common one that has been twisted into so many different things over the years. I like the original story, and it should be fun to mix it into a story within the same universe as the other Grimm stories I’ve chosen.
Bibliography Information
title of story: Snow White
title of book: Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm
author of book: Lucy Crane

year of publication: (1886)

No comments:

Post a Comment