Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Reading Diary A: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs)

Reading Diary A: Aesop’s Fables (Jacobs)

The Four Oxen and the Lion.  I  liked this story because of the quote at the end, “United we stand, divided we fall.”  I think this is extremely relevant in most aspects of life.

The Fox and the Mask. I love the quote, “ Outside show is a poor substitute for inner worth.”  This was my favorite quote from the readings.  I also think it’s funny when the fox, talking to a mask says, “You look very fine; it is a pity you have not got any brains.”

The Fox and the Grapes.  The moral of the story was, “It is easy to despise what you cannot get.”  I know even I am sometimes guilty of this, though I do my best not to.  It’s an unhealthy mindset that far too many take on.

The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing.  I enjoyed this story, because I had always heard the expression, but never understood where it came from.  Awesome! Also, I like the moral of the story, “Appearances are deceptive.”

The Dog and the Shadow. I like that this story makes dogs look unintelligent.  Cats rule, dogs drool. =^. .^=  (It’s a cat face)



The Ass in the Lion’s Skin. I enjoyed this one because the moral of the story was, “Fine clothes may disguise, but silly words will disclose a fool.”  It reminds me of the saying, It is better to be quiet and thought a fool, than to be loud and known as one.

The Ass’s Brains.  This one made me laugh! After the ass ate the brains of the fox, and the lion asked what he had done with the brains, the ass said the fox had had none, or it would have never fallen into the lion’s trap. Wit is indeed a valuable thing!

The Hare and the Tortoise. I’ve always heard this story, but I had never actually read it before.   I’m glad I got the chance to now!

No comments:

Post a Comment