Thursday, January 22, 2015

Extra Reading Diary - Aesop for Children (Winter)

Reading Diary Extra: Aesop For Children (Winter)

The Tortoise and the Ducks.  All I keep thinking is how is this supposed to be for children? “...where he was dashed to pieces on a rock.”  I suppose it depends on the age of the children, but goodness!

The Boy and the Filberts.  I liked the moral, “Do not attempt too much at once.”  I have a tendency of jumping headfirst into too many things, which usually hurts me in the end.  This is a good moral to continue to learn! If only I had figured it out by trying to grab a fistful of nuts!

The Ass and His Driver. The moral is a long one, but a very great one! Pretty much, those who are too stubborn to listen to those wiser than them are on “the road to misfortune.” I’m a very open-minded person, and from now on when I run into stubborn close-minded people, I will want to share this story with them!



The Gnat and the Bull. I love the quote, “We are often of greater importance in our own eyes than in the eyes of our neighbor.”  Sometimes, especially during college, maybe even more so in high school, it’s easy to be extremely worried about what others think of you, when really, it doesn’t really matter.

The Farmer and the Stork.  The moral, “You are judged by the company you keep,” is too true! I think this one is a good story for children to read and learn early.


The Boys and the Frogs. Since this series of stories is for children, I really enjoyed the moral of this one. “Always stop to think whether your fun may not be the cause of another’s unhappiness.”  Especially with children, I see this a lot.  It’s easy to forget about others around you, but it is important to always think of everyone, not just yourself.

The Travelers and the Sea.  I love this for the moral, “Do not let your hopes carry you away from reality.”   Sometimes it can be easy to get lost in your hopes and dreams, especially in college when it seems like everything is possible.  Reality may be harder to deal with sometimes, but it’s important to remember.

The Monkey and the Dolphin.  I think it’s kind of sad that the monkey was left alone! Granted, he did lie, but who wouldn’t in a situation where you were trying to survive? Hopefully the monkey made it to shore!

No comments:

Post a Comment